The Five D's are techniques for dealing with cravings to smoke. They are:
- DELAY: The urge to smoke should pass in a few minutes. Tell yourself, "I’m going to wait 10 minutes” then proceed to one of the other D’s.
- DISTRACT: Keep your mind off the urge. Get up, move, go for a walk, listen to music, or take a shower.
- DRINK WATER: Helps with distraction, keeps you hydrated and gives you something to do with your hands and mouth.
- DEEP BREATHING: Relaxing. This can help you stay calm. Try 3 slow deep breaths.
- DISCUSS: Call a friend, connect with others, either here on the QuitNet or in the 3D world. If you don’t talk it out you’ll smoke it out. The more you practice these coping strategies the more effective they become.