When you have a craving, remember the 5 Ds:
- DELAY: The urge to smoke should pass in a few minutes.
- DISTRACT: Keep your mind off the craving. Go for a walk, listen to music, or text a friend.
- DRINK WATER: It helps distract you and gives you something to do with your hands and mouth.
- DEEP BREATHE: This can help you relax and stay calm. Try 3 slow deep breaths.
- DISCUSS: Talk about how you’re feeling with a friend or other person who supports you, or visit the feed. You can give your post a “Craving” tag, which lets everyone know that you want to smoke and need support right away!
Medical review: Nathan Cobb, MD, November 15, 2017