If you had already quit for several days, but found the cravings just too heavy to handle, you could conceivably begin using the gum or lozenge, or perhaps even the lowest dosage (7mg) patch. By the end of your first week smoke-free, we wouldn't recommend any NRT. If you are having intense cravings, you might try the 2mg nicotine gum or lozenge when they occur.
Articles in this section
- What are advantages of the patch over other NRTs?
- Why the 'step-down' approach to the patch?
- Where should I apply the patch?
- How long do I wear each patch?
- How long should I stay on the patch?
- What if the patch falls off during the day?
- Does the patch cause nightmares, and if so, what should I do?
- Will I absorb more nicotine from the patch when I exercise?
- Will I feel any withdrawal symptoms when I drop to the next lower patch?
- Can I cut the patch in half?