First, be sure to use the behavioral techniques you planned to deal with cravings. But, if you find that these aren't working, some quitters keep nicotine gum or lozenge handy for times when the cravings get especially strong. The patch produces a steady stream of nicotine to the body, but the gum or lozenge will provide you with a quicker delivery of nicotine during a stressful moment. If you do choose to combine the patch with some nicotine gum or a lozenge, we advise you to use the 2mg strength when you need it for tough breakthrough cravings while on the patch.
Articles in this section
- Will I always be addicted to nicotine?
- How soon after quitting will my health improve?
- Will I see positive benefits of quitting right away?
- Should I avoid alcohol at first?
- How do I stay motivated?
- How do I take care of myself?
- How do I keep my hands busy?
- Can exercise diminish cravings?
- Should I avoid my smoking friends?
- How do I survive social events without smoking?