New quitters often don't use enough gum to get the desired benefit. They either chew too few pieces per day and/or do not use it for a long-enough duration. Be sure to use at least 9 pieces of gum a day (every 1-2 hours) for the first six weeks of your quit. (Do not chew more than 24 pieces a day.) Stay with the full 12 week quit program. Try to gradually taper off during the 12 weeks. If you are unable to discontinue the gum after 12 weeks, talk to your doctor about possibly continuing the gum for a longer time.
Articles in this section
- What are advantages of gum over other NRTs?
- How do I use nicotine gum?
- Can I eat or drink before or while using gum or the lozenge?
- What's the right way to use the gum?
- How long and how often should I use the gum?
- When I stop using the 4mg gum, will I go into withdrawal?
- What are some side effects of nicotine gum?
- Is the peppery or tingly taste in the lozenge or gum normal?
- How do I choose between 2mg and 4mg gum?
- I'm using the correct dose the of gum; why am I still craving?