Nicotine gum isn't used like regular gum. It must be chewed properly to work right and minimize side effects. Use the “chew and park” method: Chew the gum slowly until you can taste the nicotine or feel a tingling sensation in your mouth. Stop chewing and park the gum between your cheek and gums as the nicotine is absorbed. After about a minute, when the tingling is almost gone, start chewing again. Repeat this process until the tingle is gone (about 30 minutes).
Articles in this section
- What are advantages of gum over other NRTs?
- How do I use nicotine gum?
- Can I eat or drink before or while using gum or the lozenge?
- What's the right way to use the gum?
- How long and how often should I use the gum?
- When I stop using the 4mg gum, will I go into withdrawal?
- What are some side effects of nicotine gum?
- Is the peppery or tingly taste in the lozenge or gum normal?
- How do I choose between 2mg and 4mg gum?
- I'm using the correct dose the of gum; why am I still craving?